Durango, a picturesque city in the southwestern part of Colorado, is known for its rich history, stunning landscapes, and outdoor activities. But did you know that Durango also has a thriving arts and entertainment scene, including a range of movie theaters that cater to all kinds of audiences? Whether you’re a movie buff, a family looking for a fun night out, or a couple seeking a romantic date spot, Durango’s movie theaters have got you covered. In this article, we’ll explore some of the best movie theaters in Durango and what they have to offer.
- Animas City Theatre – Animas City Theatre is not your typical movie theater. This venue is a historic building that has been transformed into a live music venue, and it also hosts film screenings. The theater has been renovated with state-of-the-art sound and projection systems, making it an excellent place to catch a movie or a concert. Animas City Theatre offers a unique and intimate atmosphere, and its programming includes indie films, documentaries, and classic movies.
- Durango Stadium 9 – If you’re looking for a modern movie theater experience, Durango Stadium 9 is the place to go. This cinema is located in the Durango Mall and boasts nine screens, stadium seating, and state-of-the-art sound and projection systems. The theater offers a range of movies, from the latest Hollywood blockbusters to independent films and foreign language movies. Additionally, Durango Stadium 9 has a snack bar and offers special deals on concessions.
- Gaslight Twin Cinema – Gaslight Twin Cinema is a family-owned and operated theater that has been serving Durango for over 35 years. This cinema has two screens and shows a mix of first-run movies and classic films. The theater has comfortable seating, and the staff is friendly and welcoming. Gaslight Twin Cinema is also known for its affordable prices, making it an excellent option for families or moviegoers on a budget.
- Sunflower Theatre – Sunflower Theatre is a charming venue located in the heart of downtown Durango. This theater is operated by the local nonprofit organization, The Durango Arts Center, and it features a variety of performing arts events, including theater productions, live music, and film screenings. Sunflower Theatre has a single screen and shows a mix of classic movies, foreign films, and independent cinema. The theater also has a bar, making it an ideal spot for a pre-movie drink.
- The Abbey Theatre – The Abbey Theatre is a small, independent movie theater located in the historic district of Durango. This venue has a single screen and shows a range of films, from mainstream releases to indie movies and documentaries. The theater has a cozy and intimate atmosphere, with comfortable seating and an old-school charm. The Abbey Theatre also serves beer and wine, making it a perfect place for a night out with friends.
- Fort Lewis College Community Concert Hall – The Fort Lewis College Community Concert Hall is a large venue that hosts a variety of performing arts events, including concerts, theater productions, and film screenings. The hall has a state-of-the-art sound and projection system, and it can seat up to 600 people. The venue hosts a variety of movies throughout the year, including film festivals and special screenings. Additionally, the Fort Lewis College Community Concert Hall is known for its excellent acoustics, making it an ideal spot for music performances and film screenings.
- Animas High School Performing Arts Center – The Animas High School Performing Arts Center is a modern and spacious venue that hosts a variety of events, including concerts, plays, and movie screenings. This venue is equipped with state-of-the-art sound and projection systems, and it can seat up to 450 people
Another popular movie theater in Durango is the Gaslight Twin Cinema. Located in the historic downtown district, the Gaslight Twin Cinema has been a fixture in the community since 1970. The theater features two screens and shows a mix of popular Hollywood blockbusters, independent films, and cult classics.
One of the unique features of the Gaslight Twin Cinema is its classic movie series. Every Tuesday night, the theater screens a classic movie from the golden age of Hollywood. Moviegoers can enjoy beloved films like “Gone with the Wind” and “Casablanca” on the big screen, just as audiences did when these movies were first released.
In addition to its regular movie screenings, the Gaslight Twin Cinema also hosts special events and film festivals throughout the year. For example, the theater is the home of the annual Durango Independent Film Festival, which showcases independent films from around the world.
For those looking for a more upscale movie-going experience, the Animas City Theatre offers a unique setting for film screenings. Built in 1906 as a vaudeville theater, the Animas City Theatre has been renovated to include a state-of-the-art sound system, high-definition projection, and comfortable seating.
The theater regularly shows a mix of mainstream movies and independent films, and also hosts live music events, comedy shows, and other performances. The venue’s historic charm and elegant ambiance make it a popular destination for movie-goers looking for a more luxurious experience.
Overall, Durango offers a variety of movie theaters to choose from, each with its own unique character and charm. Whether you’re looking for a family-friendly blockbuster or an indie gem, you’re sure to find it in this charming southwestern town. So the next time you’re in Durango, be sure to check out one of its many movie theaters and experience the magic of the movies in this beautiful corner of the world.